It's finished and I need only to create a belt. I'm glad I did the tedious repair. Actually, I didn't have much of a choice.
I'll unknit for a few rows, but beyond that, re-doing or unraveling is how I handle most situations.
I don't fix everything
At times I've not fixed what is clearly a mistake and made it a design element. Without reading the pattern on the toe-up socks I've made plenty of times, I increased for the gusset on the wrong half of the socks and was putting the rib pattern into the gusset area. It turned out fine. An expert might look down upon my socks, but they worked out okay and are unique.
There are funny triangular sections at the gusset, but it works just fine.
Perfection, or not
When I noticed my mistake on the project I was knitting while thinking about this post, I really didn't want to fix it. It was noticeable only on the back of the work. Apparently, I picked up a strand when I inserted the cable needle. There was a strand pulled across the back of the cable area and I noticed it when I reached the next cable crossing 6 rows of 115 stitches later. I wanted to cry. I didn't think I could repair it because, not only did I have to release the cable area, I had to re-do the border stitch, too. It's not perfect and that bugs me, but it's good enough. I think I placed one of the stitches the wrong way, but it's mostly hidden by the cable twist. I hope I don't point it out to people when they compliment me on the sweater.
The repaired cables aren't all that noticeable.
With this light blue center cable v-neck sweater I've crossed one of the cables the wrong way - twice! I've learned how to fix that mistake by now. I'm learning as I go. I thought this would be a simple pattern with enough of a challenge to keep me interested. When I get tired or distracted I really should put away the knitting, but it's an addiction. I think, "Just one more row," or "Just until the decrease," or "Just until the next cable crossing."
The next big fix
I plan to repair/redo/reknit the gnawed sweater cuff. That's a big mistake and I don't know exactly how to tackle the problem. Fortunately, I was able to find the exact yarn - color and dyelot - from a ravelry knitter.